What is SEO
Focuses on the natural, organic relevancy and ranking of content in search results
SEO is the act of modifying a website to increase its ranking in organic (vs paid), crawler-based listings of search engines
How do organic search listings work?
- A spider or crawler which is a component of a search engine gathers listings by automatically “crawling” the web. Refer to web diagram.
- The spider follows links to web pages, makes copies of the pages and stores them in the search engine’s index
- Based on this data, the SE then indexes the pages and ranks the websites
- Major search engine’s that index pages using spider ie Google, Bing Yahoo
“Spiders read only text, nothing else”
How search engine’s obtain content
- Search Engines send “bots,” that spider the web.
- Crawls via hyperlinks